Improving My Pet's Experience
About Me
Improving My Pet's Experience

When I found out that I would be traveling extensively for work, I realized that I needed to do something about my pets. I was concerned about them being home alone or staying with a neighbor since I needed to provide for them like I normally would. Unfortunately, because I would be in business meetings all day, I knew that I couldn't take them along for the ride. I decided to start searching for pet day care centers, and I was able to find a boarding business that offered top-notch care to pets. This article is all about improving your pet's experience.

Archive

Improving My Pet's Experience

What To Do If Your Dog Ate Chocolate

Rafael Hopkins

Halloween is just around the corner. As such, you may have more candy in your home than you normally do, including chocolate. Most people know that chocolate can be poisonous to dogs, so it is important that you avoid feeding them this treat. But if you left a bag of chocolate lying around your kids left their trick-or-treat bag out, your dog may eat chocolate. Here is what you need to know and do if your dog has eaten chocolate. 

How Much Chocolate is Poisonous

If your pet eats one Hershey Kiss or one fun size bag of M&Ms, they are not going to be poisoned. There simply is not enough chocolate to cause a severe reaction. However, if you have a tiny dog and they have consumed a full size candy bar or you have a larger dog and they tore open a full bag of chocolate candy, you may have an issue. The exact level of chocolate that is needed to cause poisoning in a dog varies based on the type of chocolate that is consumed, your dog's weight and the breed of dog. But as a general rule of thumb, a small amount of chocolate isn't harmful, whereas a larger amount is. 

The Signs of Chocolate Poisoning

It can be hard to predict just how much chocolate your dog consumed and how much is poisonous to them. As such, if they consumed any chocolate, you want to be on the lookout for signs of chocolate poisoning. This includes vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, shaking and an elevated heart rate. If you know your pet ate chocolate and you notice any of these signs, you want to take your pet to a veterinarian or animal hospital. 

Treating At Home

If your pet has consumed chocolate and they are not showing signs of chocolate poisoning, but you want to be on the safe side, there are a few things you can do. You can give your pet a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide. This should induce vomiting, allowing them to purge their system of chocolate. You can also encourage your pet to eat or drink. This helps to dilute the chocolate in your pet's system. If your pet won't eat pet food, consider feeding them something like chicken, as this may encourage them to eat even if they are not hungry or have an upset tummy. Avoid giving them pet treats, as this can further upset their stomach. 

If your pet has consumed chocolate, you can try at-home treatments. However, if the at home treatments fail to work or your pet begins to exhibit signs of chocolate poisoning, it is important to contact your vet and bring them in to an animal hospital. An animal hospital can use charcoal to absorb the chocolate and give fluids to dilute the chocolate in your pet's system. The faster you act, the better the outcome will be for your pet. Contact a clinic, like Countryside Animal Hospital, for more help.


Share